Thursday, September 8, 2011

Moved In and Moving Right Along

Well, I'm all moved into La Casa de Espanol! (fancy official term for Kappa #3 in the Knollcrest East apartments at Calvin). I left the Grounds at 9:30 on Monday night, arrived at Calvin around 10:15, and proceeded to move the rest of my stuff in. I had a LOT of bulky awkward things to carry in, like memory foam and a comforter. You know, stuff you can only carry one of at a time and therefore makes move-in time take FOREVER.

Anyway, I got everything packed into the apartment, I need to pick up only 14 items from home (hahaha) and classes began right away the next day. It looks like my classes will be all right this semester:

Spanish 340 - Linguistics, Phonology, and Dialectology. Yuck. But I think I'll have a leg up with the speaking experience I gained while I was in Spain. Plus, three other Spain semester girls are in this class with me! I'm glad I get to keep seeing them.
Psychology 212 - Psychopathology. Also known as Abnormal Psychology. Super pumped for this one. The prof is hilarious, the material looks awesome, and if I have to have a 9:00am class, this seems like the one to have.
Psychology 335 - Health Psychology. Not as pumped about this one. It was either this, or Brain and Behavior, Cognitive Psychology, or Statistics in Psychology. Gross, more gross, and most gross. So Health Psych it is. :)
Education 307 - Literacy in Your Content Area. Basically, it sounds like how to develop and hone literacy in your students in your major. It still seems super abstract to me, and I don't know what to expect, but we'll see how it goes. At least there isn't a final exam.
Interdisciplinary 357 - Secondary World Languages Pedagogy. Or, how to teach a foreign language to high school students. This one could be the most fun, I think. First of all, there are 4 Spain semester girls in this one too. Second, there are about 7 different language majors represented in this class, which is so cool to me. We're all studying a different language, but we can all benefit from the same class.

Here's something interesting I came across. On the first day of school, I was estimating that walking from my apartment to Calvin's main campus would take 15-20 minutes. Wrong. It took like 8. hahaha. After walking EVERYWHERE in Spain, distances just don't seem as long anymore. :)

I'm guessing that my procrastinative tendencies will kick in around Monday, so I should do some homework before I lose the motivation. Besides having to leave the Grounds, homework is the other worst thing about school starting again. I don't mind class. I love seeing everyone again. I love hanging out in this apartment (with reliable internet), but I could do without the homework.

Ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment