Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Wish I Could Just Sit and Watch SpEd Basketball All Day

Hmm, a week later, it's probably time to update. :)

Health-wise, things have gotten neither better nor worse. It's just kind of staying the same. And for right now, I am okay with that. I know how far I can push myself on a certain amount of energy and I know how much work I can get done with that energy. I'm usually just about drained once I get home from school, but thankfully, my family and prof have been understanding about me getting my work done and giving extensions when needed.

It's been a bit of a rough week in Room 200, but only in 6th hour, so that's a good thing. We started a new trimester on Monday, which means two new Intro to Theater classes for me and about 50 new names and faces to learn. :) 6th hour Spanish has a handful of troublemakers that I'm still figuring out how to handle. They certainly test my patience and it's a battle with them every day. The other 3 Spanish classes are going pretty well though, so that gives me a boost in my confidence in myself as a teacher.

A highlight for this week happened today: the Special Olympics Basketball Tournament! Grandville MS hosts the tourney and invites Caledonia MS and Hudsonville MS. Each school forms 2 teams out of their Special Education students, and those 6 teams play each other in various combinations for the better part of the school day. Teachers are encouraged to bring their classes down to the gym for part of their class period to cheer on the players and show their support.

So that's what we did during 4th hour Theater today! I absolutely loved it. It brought back many really fabulous memories of Special Needs Week out at the Grounds. I just love the spirit that special needs kids have. It was really great to see the kids working together and passing the ball to each other. The higher functioning ones would pass the ball to the lower functioning ones, and they even gave players on the other team a second chance to shoot the ball if they caught the rebound. I was just so proud of them. :)

Time for bed for this little girl. Dios os cuide y os proteja. (which means "May God take care of you and protect you")

No comments:

Post a Comment