Thursday, July 26, 2012

Simple Fixes

It appears that my tiredness and fatigue and lethargy has a simple fix: Zoloft and Vitamin D.

That's right. My blood work showed that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. I know what you're thinking: how can Andrea, whose backyard is Lake Michigan, have a Vitamin D deficiency?! I was wondering the same thing. I pointed this out to the doctor who suspected the deficiency, and she said that it was probably more likely that my body has an inability to produce Vitamin D from sunlight. She prescribed two 2,000 IU Vitamin D pills for me to take every day. That is one THOUSAND percent of my daily need of Vitamin D. In my Google research, I didn't find any tie between Vitamin D and fatigue/energy. But I guess between those pills and the new antidepressants, something is working.

I'm finally feeling better. I've made it all the way to midnight the last three nights. That hasn't happened in MONTHS. I haven't had to talk myself into getting out of bed in the morning this week. I no longer find myself yawning as I hand over ice cream cones and hamburgers. Perhaps best of all, my strength is returning. I can lift the 3-gallon tubs of ice cream again, I can go upstairs without getting tired, and I'm back to being a scooping machine.

Part of me wishes that the answer had turned out to be something more glamorous, like a rare disease or condition that stumps the experts. But then I think, hello, those rare diseases and conditions hardly ever have such cheap and simple fixes as a nutrition supplement. Two hundred Vitamin D pills cost me, like, eight bucks or something and last me three months. Don't be a martyr, Andrea. Enjoy your simple fix.

So here's to hoping that this actually IS the simple fix and not just a weird side effect of two new prescriptions. I have a follow-up with the sleep clinic in about three weeks to discuss how the Vitamin D supplement is working. If my fatigue comes back, we move forward with a sleep study. My muscle twitching and leg jerking haven't gone away yet, so if that's still happening, then I think I get a referral to a neurologist.

Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement. I really appreciate all of you. I'm thankful that we are finally getting somewhere and for all that God is teaching me through this ordeal.

On a separate, unrelated note, this is post #100. :)

3 comments:

  1. So glad that the Vitamin D and new Rxs are working for you! See you tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy, Andrea! This is great!

    ReplyDelete