Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blast From the Past

I worked in the store last night and I can say with 400% confidence that it was 80 billion degrees in there. We sold liquid ice cream instead of solid ice cream and I made 5 Fuzzy Freezes in a row. For those that are unfamiliar with this product, it is orange sherbet (one of our hardest ice creams) and Sprite mixed together with our Razzle machine. Basically, it's the thing that takes the longest to make, besides maybe hard shakes and malts.  But here's the good news: I made 5 of them in 12 minutes. That's less than 3 minutes per Fuzzy Freeze! Olympic champion right here.

Close to the end of the shift, I served a man his double twist (which is about 6 inches tall). This in itself was a colossal feat because the soft serve was very tippy. Anyway, he complimented me on how nice the cone looked. Here is how the conversation followed:

Man: "You know, this is a really nice cone. It's so straight and it's not leaning at all. A few years ago, I got a double twist and the girl was obviously new and not very good at soft serve and the whole thing tipped over when she handed it to me. I was so mad. It got all over my shirt and practically ruined it. I kind of chewed her out because it was all her fault and she should have made it better. I wonder if that girl still works here...and if she's gotten any better at her soft serve cones..."
Me: "Sir, I'm the one who served you that cone."

Open mouth. Insert foot.

I'm happy to say that he was speechless and then apologized profusely for chewing me out and making me feel horrible about that cone. It was my first summer, an incredibly hot night, soft serve was either so soft it wouldn't stand up on its cone or it wouldn't come out at all, and I have always remembered that customer. It felt kind of nice to have him apologize for the completely undeserved tirade he unleashed on me. :)

I guess even after 4 years, it's still worth it to apologize.

1 comment:

  1. perfect.
    love fuzzy freezes.
    love ice cream
    HATE serving ice cream in 4,00000 degree heat.
    also.
    i read every blog post.
    the end.

    ReplyDelete