Sunday, April 6, 2014

Honduras Day 3 – Adventures in the Dispensary

Today (Sunday) began with pancakes in the dining room of our hotel. Normally, I’m not a huge panqueque fan, but these seemed different. Mine were much thinner than the ones my dad makes, almost like crepes. After that, half of us went to church and the other half went to the Sunday morning markets. I’ve only been to a Catholic church service once or twice in my entire life, so the service here was unfamiliar, but interesting anyway. I was able to follow along fairly well with the flow of the service, except for when to sit down and stand up. It was a kids’ service, so there was a kids’ choir and upper elementary-aged kids led the liturgies and some of the prayers. That was neat to see. They were so cute.

After church, we hustled over to the clinic to begin working for the day. It was pretty much the same as yesterday in terms of the process, but in addition, we had a handful of clients from yesterday that needed custom-made glasses and returned today to pick them up. We give those that need to return a slip with a day and time that they can come back and we allow them to come in through the back door so they don’t have to wait in the regular line to pick up their glasses. I think they really appreciate that. I know I would.

I got to meet so many great Hondurans (both adults and kids) today. Yesterday was more hectic, but today I had some time to sit with people and talk to them. I even got to hold a few babies!! I miss Tyler (my little hombrecito that I take care of during the week) and he’s not so little anymore! He doesn’t always want to sit and cuddle with me anymore, so I absolutely loved holding the little 5- and 6-month old babies that came through with their parents. It seemed like there were a lot more kids today too, and I got to have a lot of fun with them. While Jefa Sandy and Aunt Penny would find the right glasses for them, I would help them pick out some sunglasses. We try to give sunglasses to everyone here because the sun is much more powerful here, closer to the equator. When I have boys picking out sunglasses, I always show them the pink Barbie pairs first, and they all say “Nooo! Aquellas son para chicas!” (Those are for girls!) Then we all have a good laugh.

One of my little bebecitos, Isaac, a little boy who turned 1 yesterday, had pinkeye. I felt so bad for him. His parents came through for vision tests and glasses, and when they got to the dispensary, they asked me to look at his eyes and tell them what was wrong. I told them that I would get a doctor for them, but even I could see that the little guy’s eyes were all bloodshot. Dr. Bob came by and explained through me about pinkeye, how contagious it was, how important it was to keep the eyes and eyelashes clean and wash hands often, and how the drops worked and how often to use them. The little guy was a champ. He didn’t cry or squirm when Dr. Bob had to shine the light in his eyes or when he put the drops in. One of the other team members got a great picture of him and me, so I’ll have to post that one when she emails it to me. It sucks that he has pinkeye, but that means he has to come back, so I’ll get to see him and his parents again! P.S. to Rob and Susie - Isaac does the "how old are you" hold-up-one-finger better than Tyler does. I couldn't get him to clap, though, which seems to be T's speciality. :)

My Spanish is doing pretty well too. I’ve gotten lots of compliments, both from team members and from clients, about how fluid I am with the two languages. I feel so affirmed by that. My Spanish professors would be absolutely horrified by how sloppy I’ve been with my pronunciation, but I’ve found that trying to mimic the accent that my client has helps me to communicate better with them. For example, the older generation has very thick accents – they tend to leave the ‘s’ off of their words, they say “pah” instead of “para,” and they tend to just garble their words a bit. Like they have rocks in their mouths. The younger generations, especially the kids, speak more clearly, so I try to match accents with the client. Today also went better because I found a little stool on wheels that I sat and rolled around on. Since the patients were sitting down, I sat down too, and then I was eye-to-eye with them. It helped a LOT. I could see their mouths, I could hear them better, and it was just easier to talk. I hate looming over people. I’d rather sit with them on the same level to talk. Hopefully that wheelie stool doesn’t disappear.


I think that’s all for now. We’re supposed to have a “night off” from organized dinner and entertainment, so hopefully I’ll be able to get some homework done and relax with some books. Or maybe I’ll just go to sleep. I’ve been waking up at 6am here, even with earplugs and a white noise app on my Kindle. Oh well. When in Honduras…

No comments:

Post a Comment