Saturday, December 31, 2011

My, How Far I've Come

This year....


January

- Packed up my life and moved to Denia, Spain for a semester abroad.

- First transatlantic flight, first time on another continent, first time in Europe, first time living with a family other than my own, first interim class, first immersion classroom experience. Lots of firsts. Too many all at once.

- Trip to Barcelona, Spain and the beginning of seven wonderful friendships.


February

· Began an independent study at a local school in Denia.

· Sem Pond jump! But in the infinitely warmer, non-frozen Mediterranean Sea.

· Purchased my first Spanish novel – Harry Potter y el Cáliz de Fuego. :)

· Ate pulpo (octopus) for the first time.

· Trip to Madrid, Segovia, and Toledo, Spain

March

· Trip to Grenada and Cordoba, Spain

· Trips to Paris, France, and Rome, Italy

· Fallas Celebration in Denia – basically, 10 days of fireworks, firecrackers, fire culminating in multi-story burning creations of wood and plaster

· Participated in my first photo shoot. Sort of. It was really just a bunch of us wandering around town while Alyssa snapped a billion photos.

April

· First Spring Break spent in a location other than Grandville, Michigan. Some people went to the UK, or Italy, or Paris….I went to the BEACH every day!

· Watched my very first sunrise. And over the Mediterranean Sea, no less.

· Started a blog. Sometimes I post silly things, sometimes I post serious things, but I always try to post things that are important. Things that I would want to read if I were you.

· Came to be okay with being in the lion’s den.

May

· Took – and PASSED – the Spanish Oral Proficiency Exam!!

· Passed all exams and classes and finished the academic portion of the semester abroad.

· Skinny-dipped in the Mediterranean Sea on the last night in Denia.

· “Welcome home.”

· Had a consultation with my ophthalmologist to determine if I was a candidate for LASIK vision correction surgery. I’m not.

· Memorial Day Weekend at the Conference Grounds. First time back after returning from Spain, and it was as fabulous as I was imagining it would be.

June

· The beginning of my fourth summer working at the Conference Grounds, kicked off by Special Needs Week!

· Air-conditioning installed in Amistad. Best thing ever.

· General shenanigans with roommates Jessica and Lindsey.

July

· My first (and only) success as a choreographer – Waka Waka (This Time for Africa), Middle School Week Lip Sync.

· Bizarre and scary events at the Grounds, difficult decisions to be made.

· Christmas in July party with the college staff. Bryant receives a toilet seat in the white elephant gift exchange.

August

· Computer screen broke. Bought new computer.

· Spain 2011 reunion! Even though only like, 8 people showed up, it was good to catch up and see everyone again.

· Saw the movie The Help. Best film of the year, in my opinion. It opened my eyes and changed my mind about a lot of things.

· Campo family reunion in Traverse City, Michigan. Drunk old people asking me WHO I’m doing instead of HOW I’m doing? Good lord.

September

· Moved into my first apartment (The Spanish House at Calvin College) the night before classes started. Funny story: I was in the process of moving stuff in and forgot my ID in my room on one of the trips, which meant I couldn’t get back into the building. I called one of my roommates (whom I had met, oh, 4 minutes earlier) and she picks up and says, “Uh, how did you get my number already??” “Well….when I friended you on Facebook…I saw your number listed and I put it in my phone as a precaution because I thought it might be a good idea…” Beginning of friendship with Jama Runkel.

· Beginning of fall semester and my tutoring job at Calvin’s Spanish Department

· Finally stopped fighting and denying and running away. I named my giants: Depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

· ArtPrize 2011. Why have I not gone the other years?!

October

· Put myself on antidepressants.

· Celebrated my 22nd birthday by attending four classes, two review sessions, and a dinner with my family and grandparents.

· Began working at Burton Middle School with their after-school program promoting literacy and FUN.

· Family Fall Harvest Festival and general mayhem with Chelsey and Jessica.

November

· Learned how to roll my Rs. I can’t do it on command though, so don’t even ask.

· Pizza and breadsticks for Thanksgiving Dinner with Dad’s side – MUCH better than turkey.

· Continued to acclimate to my medication. Not an easy task.

· Developed an in-depth unit plan based on the Dirty War in Argentina. I’m really proud of it.

December

· After a billion papers, projects, and final exams….End of fall semester and FREEDOM.

· Moved back in at home after exam week.

· Refurnished, rearranged, and redecorated my room. Now it’s EXACTLY the way I want it.

· A week of Christmas and family members. And LOTS of food.

· New Year’s Eve spent with two cuties. They’re almost 3. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment