Friday, June 10, 2011

Epidemic

Did you know:
> 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before they turn 18 years old. In a classroom of 24, that's an average of 5 children.
> 70% of ALL sexual assaults happen to children 17 and under.
> More than 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their abuser.
> Young girls who are sexually abused are more likely to develop eating disorders during their teenage years.
> Children who are sexually abused are 4 times more likely to experience depression, anxiety, uncontrollable anger, nightmares, feelings of worthlessness, self-hatred, hopelessness, and thoughts of suicide during adolescence and adulthood.
> It is estimated that 39,000,000 sexual abuse survivors live in the United States.
> 70-80% of rapists report that they were sexually abused during their childhoods.

Does this concern anyone else?
Every year, we have a child sexual abuse awareness training seminar in order to learn about the statistics, effects, and prevention of abuse. It can be kind of tedious and time-consuming, but I've always found it intriguing because of my interest in psychology. The effects of abuse don't stop if/when the victim reports the abuse.

Ever since getting involved with a middle school youth group and doing teacher aiding last fall, I've been wondering if I'll ever have a student that tells me that they have been abused. Even if they don't tell me, it's possible that 20% of my students have been abused (or will be abused) before they graduate, according to statistics. Isn't that wild? That could be up to one person in each row of desks.
At first, it scared me a little bit. But as I dwell on it and think about it more and more, I realize that if I shy away from the responsibility of being their advocate, I help no one. I want to be the person they can talk about their struggles with and I want my classroom to be a safe place for them. It takes only one person that is willing to listen and help in order to restore hope to a broken soul.

Unfortunately, it also takes only one person that won't listen or reacts in the wrong way to devastating news, and that negative reaction has the power to silence a victim forever. No person on this earth enjoys the feeling that someone does not believe them; least of all, children.
This is my request. If anyone, regardless of age, approaches you and admits to you that they are struggling with something, ESPECIALLY if it is abuse or something equally serious, listen to them. Assure them that you will continue to listen to them, believe them, and that you want to help them. It's all about the initial emotional support. You don't have to carry the burden of saving them and providing professional help. But until that person is connected with people that are better equipped to help, you might be the only link they have between hope and despair.

Be brave. They confided in you for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment