Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Andrea's Guide to Michigan Weather

Psh, yeah right. NO ONE has a guide to Michigan's weather.

I experienced just about every type of Michigan weather tonight (except frozen varieties of precipitation). I made the stupid decision to drive all the way back to the Grounds after a Spain reunion in East GR. Mom will be so proud of my ability to judge the weather and make good decisions about driving in it.

So, Spain Reunion - fantastic. Only 7 people showed up, and only 5 stayed more than an hour, but it was still a lot of fun. Cynthia made us some fabulous Spanish food (paella, tortilla, the works), we got to reminiscing, did some Ge impersonations, caught up on each other's lives post-Spain, and heard a lot about the re-vamping they did of the program. We were the last group to be in Denia, and the group that leaves in a couple of weeks is going to Oviedo, which is in the north of Spain, instead. It was so great to see everyone that was there and hear us all stumbling through our Spanish. I had forgotten how different people's voices sound when they are speaking another language. I'm not sure how to describe it, but some people have entirely different voices once you layer on an accent and different inflections. Over all, I'm really glad I drove in for it because it was so great to see everyone.

Now here is where the bad decision comes in.

I'm leaving Cynthia's house, lightning all over the sky, but I figure, eh. No big deal. I'll just drive back. Let me give you a bit of a play-by-play of my drive home.

East GR: I got a little lost in Cynthia's neighborhood, but ended up on Kalamazoo Ave. I figured I'd hit 131 as it crossed Burton, switch to 196, then take Lake Mich all the way back to GH. Straightforward, right? Wrong.
Burton and 131: Closed. Detour to Hall and 131. If I had known that 131 crossed Hall, I would have just taken Hall from Cynthia's to 131. Oh well, now I'm where I aimed to be. It's raining a bit, but nothing horrible. I forgot how much I like driving on the highway at night, especially through downtown GR where it's all lit up and you can see all the big buildings, not to mention, the cityscape was backlit by lightning every 5 seconds.
131 and 196 Interchange: No problems. Raining a little bit harder.
196's Lake Mich Drive exit: Raining harder, but it still doesn't occur to Andrea to get back on the highway and just go home to Grandville.
The West Side: Rain lets up a little, and I feel better about deciding to drive back to GH. Lightning is still tearing up the sky, which should have been a warning sign.
The area between Standale and Allendale (Stallendale) : Raining even harder, windshield wipers going almost full speed. Seriously regretting the decision to drive.
The Grand Valley area: OH MY GOSH, THE CLOUDS HAVE EXPLODED AND I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Hydroplaning is a way of life right now, and I'm scared out mah mind. Seriously considering pulling off at the nearest parking lot on this side of the road and ridin' the storm out.
Allendale proper: The rain has let up significantly and I figure, okay, I can do this. There's no point in turning around now because I would just be driving with the same storm I just passed through. I'll take my chances with the weather I encounter.
No Man's Land / Zeeland area: Fog as far as the eye can see (which is about a tenth of a mile, no joke). It's still raining, but not as bad. Lightning is still shooting from Holland to Muskegon across my windshield and I just hope I make it back before the next downpour hits.
US 31 and Lake Michigan Drive: Raining like normal, and then the BIGGEST and BRIGHTEST flash of lightning explodes right over my head. This is followed by, of course, the LOUDEST and SCARIEST crack of thunder EVER. I jumped and actually hit my head on the roof of my car. If I hadn't been stopped at the intersection, I probably would have caused an accident.
Lake Mich Drive between 31 and Lakeshore: All of a sudden, it starts to rain super hard again, and upon further inspection through the fog, I can see the raindrops are bouncing. Yup, bouncing. It is hailing!!
Lakeshore Drive: Riddled with fog and more hail, not to mention the continuing downpour. I made it home safe, and little worse for wear. My nerves are absolutely shot, though...

Moral of the story: Check the weather before you go ANYWHERE in Michigan. Then, disregard it, and prepare for anything because it's imPOSSible to predict it.


1 comment:

  1. OK, you could have called us and stopped here til the storm subsided!!! We are, however, so thankful that you are safe and coherent enough to post this meteorological account of your experience.

    ReplyDelete