Monday, May 23, 2011

"I don't know."

It's been an interesting couple of days.
For one thing, I wake up every day before 8am, completely unable to fall back to sleep. I'm not wide awake, I don't feel rested...in fact, it's like waking up in the middle of the night. Groggy...disoriented. It's getting old. I just wanna sleep.
It has been great to be home. Don't get me wrong. But at the same time, it's very difficult. Everyone wants to know how the semester was, where I went, what I did, what my favorite part was...
But the problem is that even I don't always know. Tonight especially, on this little whirlwind of ups and downs and arounds. I don't know how to answer those questions with any kind of decent honesty. I can spout off the list of places I went to, or what we would do on the weekends, but if you're looking to know about the deeper things, the emotions of the journey, I'm afraid you'll have to wait.
I spent the evening with a friend who went on a semester abroad in the fall and she had some very wise words for me. She told me that it's okay to not know. It's okay to admit that. It's okay to say "I don't know" instead of saying what I know people want to hear.

It's okay to not know. Someday I will.

1 comment: