Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Things I Missed and/or Took For Granted About Home

Of course, my family and friends go at the top of this list. But here are the non-human things I missed about the U.S...
1. Driving and singing in my car.
2. Cheez-its. Mom sent me two boxes this past semester, but let's face it. They were gone in like, 2 seconds.
3. Cold water and drinks with ice.
4. Not being stared at in the street. Or at least if I was being stared at, it was because I was doing something silly, in which case the staring is legit. But in Spain, we all got the "up and down and halfway up again" stares. EVERYWHERE WE WENT.
5. Stores like Meijer, where you can find almost anything you need in one place.
6. My cell phone and unlimited calls+texts for $16/month, not 35c/minute/text.
7. Meat and pasta.
8. Leaving the house with wet hair and not being questioned. Seriously. The mamás in Spain would not let us go outside with wet hair because they thought we would get pneumonia. One of them went to so far as to put a bowl over her student's head so that she could watch something outside after having recently showered.
9. Memory Foam.
10. My purse. I carried all my stuff around in a shoulder bag while in Spain, but it wasn't nearly as cool or flashy as my purse. Also missed my awesome pink wallet.
11. The Conference Grounds - the people, the atmosphere, the community, the love.
12. Being smiled at (and sometimes even greeted) as you pass someone in the street.
13. Signs/directions/everything in English.
14. Being able to talk to people whenever I wanted to (without having to calculate the time difference and figure out where they would be).
15. Being able to plug any appliance or electronic device into any outlet at the same time as another. And not having to use an adapter.
16. Being able to express myself.
17. Being able to defend myself.
18. Throwing out well-timed sarcasm and one-liners. I was just beginning to master some Spanish humor when we left. :)
19. My electric guitar with its pink strap.
20. Pandora radio + Hulu + instant netflix.
21. Knowing I'm where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment